Enjoy this delicious recipe that was included in Veggie Buds Club's "Kids Love Broccoli" box this month! Here are some great photos from our members that have been shared with us, keep to Broccoli Nugget love comin'!
Heather is a mom of two boys, ages 4 and 2, and cooking instructor specializing in bringing cooking into preschool classrooms. After college, Heather knew she wanted to be a teacher, but first followed her lifelong dream of going to culinary school. Teaching cooking combines both of her passions, and she truly enjoys introducing young children to the joys of cooking with fresh ingredients. Find Heather on Instagram (@heather_kidskitchen), where she shares inventive kid-friendly recipes and ideas for cooking with kids at home.
-4 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 medium head of broccoli)
-1 cup cooked quinoa or 1 1/4 cups cooked brown or white rice, cooled
-1 large egg
-1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush a 24-cup mini muffin tin with oil or spray with non-stick spray. Using a silicone muffin tin is recommended, but if you don’t have one, make sure to grease your metal pan very well to avoid sticking.
2. Place broccoli florets in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, stopping a few times to scrape down the bowl and pulse again.
3. Add quinoa (or rice), egg, cheese, garlic powder, and salt. Continue to pulse until all of the ingredients are combined and uniform in size (this will only take a few pulses if you are using quinoa but will take 8 to 10 pulses if you are using rice).
4. Scoop about a tablespoon of the broccoli mixture into each muffin cup then push down the top with the back of the spoon to pack the mixture down. Sprinkle the tops of each ‘nugget’ with a little extra cheese, if desired.
5. Bake until lightly brown around the edges, about 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Allow nuggets to cool completely. If using a metal pan, you may need to loosen the edges of the nuggets with a butter knife to help remove them from the pan. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.