March is all about the cauliflower at Veggie Buds Club! This delicious recipe is one of the cauliflower recipes included in this month's box.
It was developed by Heather Staller, a mom of two boys, ages 5 and 3, and cooking instructor specializing in bringing cooking into preschool classrooms. After college, Heather knew she wanted to be a teacher, but first followed her lifelong dream of going to culinary school. Teaching cooking combines both of her passions, and she truly enjoys introducing young children to the joys of cooking with fresh ingredients. Find Heather on Instagram (@heather_kidskitchen), where she shares inventive kid-friendly recipes and ideas for cooking with kids at home.
Kids will love to get involved with this recipe. They can break the cauliflower into pieces, crack eggs, measure the ingredients, and shake, shake, shake those cauliflower florets in the yummy breadcrumb mixture. Serve the crunchy veggies as a side dish or snack with your favorite dip.
Shake 'n' Bake Cauliflower
-1 head cauliflower, cut into medium size florets
-2 eggs (or egg replacer powder or flax meal with additional milk or water)
-¼ cup milk
-1 ½ cup whole wheat or regular Panko breadcrumbs (or substitute gluten free breadcrumbs)
-¾ cup cornmeal
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-½ teaspoon paprika
-1 tablespoon oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil.
2. Crack eggs into a bowl, add milk, and whisk with a fork to combine. Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
3. In a large zip-top bag (or in a large bowl), add breadcrumbs, cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, and paprika. Shake bag around a little to combine then drizzle oil over mixture and shake again.
4. Set up an “assembly line” with cauliflower florets, egg mixture, and breadcrumb mixture in a row in that order. Working with a few florets at a time, dip cauliflower into the egg mixture, let the excess drip off, then place into the breadcrumbs. Once you have done 4 to 5 pieces of cauliflower, seal the bag well then shake to coat the cauliflower in the crumbs. Open bag then place each piece of coated cauliflower on the baking sheet.
5. Bake cauliflower until crunchy and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.